Many people suffer from different fears, but one of the most common is the fear of the dentist. If you have dental anxiety, you may postpone or even avoid dental appointments altogether, putting you at risk of oral health problems down the road. At Maegan Elam, DDS & Associates, we offer sedation dentistry to ensure you feel comfortable and relaxed during your dental appointments at our Bedford, Texas office.
Our sedation dentistry options
It only takes a matter of time for bad breath, gum disease, and tooth decay to start cropping up when you let your guard down with your oral health regimen. We understand that dental anxiety and fear are real issues that prevent patients from getting the care they need, so we provide the below sedation alternatives to calm your nerves during dental appointments.
- Nitrous oxide: If you have mild dental fear, nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, can help. Dr. Maegan Elam administers nitrous oxide through a mask fitted over your nose to help you relax when undergoing treatment. The sedation wears off quickly after the mask is removed, meaning you can drive yourself home after treatment.
- Oral sedation: Dr. Elam prescribes you a pill that you will take an hour or so before your appointment. Since oral sedation makes you feel drowsy, you will need someone to drive you to and from our office.
Benefits of sedation dentistry
If you are nervous about dental appointments or worried that an upcoming dental procedure will be uncomfortable, you should talk with your dentist about your options for sedation dentistry. Here are the four benefits you reap by opting for dental sedation.
- Eases dental anxiety: Around 60% of people worldwide admit to having dental anxiety, which prevents many patients from receiving optimal oral care. Thanks to sedation dentistry, patients remain calm and comfortable during treatment, enabling them to receive the care they need.
- Quicker appointment times: With sedation dentistry, patients are relaxed, meaning movements are reduced, and gag reflexes are less, allowing the dentist to perform the dental procedure faster and hassle-free.
- No pain: Nobody likes experiencing pain, whether physical or emotional. While modern dentistry has made most procedures pain-free, patients with dental fear have perceived pain, making them avoid dental visits. To address this, sedatives block the brain’s nerve receptors, eliminating any form of discomfort felt during a dental procedure.
- It’s safe: When administered by trained personnel, sedation dentistry is safe and yields little to no side effects.
Sedation dental services in Bedford, TX
Ready to say goodbye to dental anxiety? Please dial (817) 241-3535 to book an appointment with Maegan Elam, DDS & Associates, for pain-free sedation dentistry.
Share this Article