Sedation dentistry takes the anxiety out of seeing your Bedford, TX dentist
Dentistry is an essential aspect of healthcare. Furthermore, good oral health helps keep your smile bright and beautiful. Yet, many people dread dental care, despite the many benefits. If you are one of them, do not worry. Dr. Maegan Elam, your trusted dentist in Bedford, TX has a solution. In fact, she offers a couple of different sedation options to meet your needs.
This is the mildest, and the most common, form of dental sedation. It is an inhaled sedative, delivered via a mask, and takes effect immediately. After the appointment is complete, oxygen is used to neutralize the nitrous oxide.
- Safe for children and adults
- Eases anxiety with a mildly euphoric effect (hence the common name, laughing gas)
- Patients remain fully conscious during the treatment
- There are no lingering aftereffects, so patients can drive themselves home
This is a stronger sedative option, delivered via a pill that you swallow. Dr. Elam will determine the ideal dosage depending on your medical history and level of anxiety. She will give you a prescription and instructions. The medication is taken in advance of treatment, so that it has time to fully take effect.
- Deep relaxation, yet does not render the patient unconscious
- Excellent option for high-anxiety patients
- Can reduce dental chair fatigue during lengthy treatments
- Many people have limited or no memory of their appointments
Exploring the benefits of sedation dentistry
Naturally, sedation is a popular option among individuals with dentistry related phobias or anxiety. However, that is not the only benefit of extra relaxation. It can also help if you have a strong gag reflex, claustrophobia, or joint and muscle conditions that make the dental chair feel uncomfortable. Additionally, hyper or restless people find it easier to sit still with the help of sedation.
Comfortable care is just a phone call away. In addition to dental sedation, we utilize gentle treatment techniques, as well as lasers which reduce the need for drilling. The result is a uniquely comfortable and gentle type of dental care. If you want to experience it for yourself, just call (817) 241-3535 and arrange an appointment.