If the thought of going to the dentist stops you cold in your tracks, you are not alone. Millions of people suffer from dental anxiety, putting their oral health at risk. Fortunately, at the office of Maegan Elam, DDS & Associates in Bedford, Texas, we offer options for sleep dentistry that will calm your nerves to get the dental care you deserve. Our staff is always on hand to answer any questions you have about our sedation options so we can reduce your anxiety and provide pain-free treatment.
What is Sleep Dentistry?
Also called sedation dentistry, sleep dentistry allows us to provide a wide range of treatments, from cleanings to extensive restorations, safely and comfortably for patients with dental fear or anxiety. Patients who benefit from sedation options may have:
- Dread about the sights and sounds at the dental office
- Difficulty sitting still for extended periods
- A sensitive gag reflex
- Difficulty getting numb from local anesthetic
What Types of Sleep Dentistry are Available to Me?
At our Bedford office, we offer two main types of sedation: mild sedation and moderate sedation.
- Nitrous Oxide – The mildest form of sedation, nitrous oxide is often used to address mild anxiety. The gas is inhaled through a mask and works almost immediately to keep you conscious in a highly relaxed state. With nitrous oxide, you will still be able to communicate with the dental team. The effects of the gas wear off nearly as quickly as they began to work, making it possible for patients to drive home following treatment.
- Oral Conscious Sedation – A more moderate type of sedation, oral conscious sedation is administered through a prescription medication taken before your appointment. Transportation will need to be arranged to and from treatment. With oral conscious sedation, you will still be able to breathe on your own and follow commands but will be in a highly relaxed and sleepy state. The effects of the sedative can take a few hours to wear off entirely, and, in many cases, you will have no memory of the procedure.
Dr. Elam and her team are committed to providing anxious patients in the Bedford, Texas area access to dental care. To learn more about sleep dentistry, call us at (817) 241-3535.
Share this Article